Thursday, April 15, 2010

Carolyn


My sister Carolyn is what I lovingly call "medically involved." She has suffered with illness for over half her life. I don't mean a cold here and there. She has suffered with the kinds of illnesses that land her in the hospital for weeks on end. I literally can't count how many surgeries she has had but I would venture to say well over 25.

Why do I share this with you? She is one of my hero's. Rarely do I hear her complain about her life. She doesn't stay in bed all day feeling sorry for herself. She makes the most of every moment she can. When she is in the hospital she always has a stash of candy for her nurses and a smile and a kind word too. I have seen her play match maker with the Dr.'s and Nurses and get to know them personally. I've seen her share her love of the Lord through her sweet and gentle demeanor. She doesn't spend her day complaining or being grumpy as many patients tend to do.

Recently, Carolyn came to visit me in Colorado. During her trip she didn't seem well but that didn't stop her. She kept going, kept pressing on, kept loving and spoiling my kids. We went to Focus on the Family to let the kids play at Whit's End. While there the slide beckoned her name. This isn't just any slide it is a huge giant slide that literally spirals outside of the building. Carolyn wasn't feeling great but that didn't stop hear. Caden asked her to go down it, so up the stairs she went. Again, this is a GIANT slide so there are probably five or so flights of stairs. Carolyn not feeling well and not adjusted to altitude climbed the stairs for the love of her nephew.

Carolyn left Colorado on Saturday and on Sunday she was in the hospital with pneumonia, a blood infection and low potassium.

Carolyn didn't let life ruin her joy. She lives everyday with the reality that it may be her last. She continues to have fun and invest in others. We all have options in life. I know that I let so many things hold me back. I hope that I can live like Carolyn. The unfortunate truth is I think sometimes I live like I have pneumonia a blood infection and low potassium more than she does!


No comments:

Post a Comment