Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Jeremiah 29:11 & Chick-fil-A

Yesterday was a day to go down in my history books. It was a yucky day. It was full of things that I didn't want to do and things I wish I hadn't said. The things I didn't want to do were things that I had been putting off and I had to face. The things I tackled were huge and life changing not the I need to go the grocery store type things. I actually fed my children cereal for dinner. I know that may not sound like something one should freak out about. Except, if you know me you know I am a person who makes a sit down meal for my family almost nightly. I was exhausted at 8:17 pm when I pulled into Chick-fil-A to buy my dinner. My emotional energy spent, my reserves gone, my heart broken and my spirit angry.

I pulled forward in the drive thru to get my #1 meal with extra pickle and there he was. He may have been 19 or at the most 20 years old. He had blonde hair, he was a little chubby and had a sweet smile. I noticed none of that initially. Frankly, I just wanted my food and wanted to go home. He looked at me and said "Ma-am, are you OK?" I responded with a "Ya, how about you?" He responded, "No, really are you OK?" I a little more annoyed said "Yes, I am fine." I wondered if I was wearing a sign that says my life is a little out of control and I don't like it? Then he said "I hope you don't mind but I feel like I am supposed to tell you Jeremiah 29:11." My eyes filled with tears. I couldn't hold back. He knew I wasn't OK. He knew he heard the voice of God telling him to say that to me. He knew I needed that! I got my food and drove away. I spent the first five minutes of my drive home in shock. I spent the next five minutes thanking a good and faithful God who loves me even when I am grumpy. God knew I needed Him to show me His heart. God knew I needed to know He still cared.

If you don't know Jeremiah 29:11 it is a verse I have had memorized for years. It is a verse that I often will repeat to myself to help me process situations in my life. I highly recommend committing this one to memory...see if I didn't know the verse Chick-fil-A guy's comment probably wouldn't have been as impacting.

Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD," plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."


1 comment:

  1. Oh Joy, this post brought tears to my eyes. What an amazing young man to obediently follow God's request. Would that I be so obedient when God requests something like that of me.

    Praying for you, my friend. I don't know all of your circumstances, but I know the feeling of being overwhelmed at life at times.

    ReplyDelete