Wednesday, August 25, 2010

To Walk or Not to Walk!

I have entered a very strange reality in my life. I have two children in school, one at home, no full time job and time for myself. I am realizing that I don't understand how to take care of me. I feel guilty for doing things that are good for me. I have become so accustomed to taking care of everyone and their needs that I have forgotten that I must take care of myself.

Today I decided to take a walk right after I took the kids to school. I live directly across the street from a park so I walked across the street and began the journey of taking care of myself. What is so strange is the feelings I experienced as I was walking. My thoughts ranged from feeling blessed to live in such a beautiful city to what time is it I really need to get home I have so much to do. I was praying as I walked that God would teach me to take time for myself, all the while I kept thinking of the things that needed to get done for my family. I don't count myself in the list of things that deserve my time.

I pray I can break this cycle in my life. I have a great husband who is never frustrated or angry if I take time for me. I have the ability to do it for the first time in my life. I have a park across the street that has amazing views. Everything is lined up for me to succeed at taking time for me. Will I do it? ....That is the question.

2 comments:

  1. I so know what you mean. Trying to finally take time for me and do things for me is so alien to me.

    I have older kids and it is still so hard to think of me.

    So maybe we should get together during those kids are gone times and slowly start helping each other learn to take care of ourselves. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it! I'll walk with you if you want company... :) Both my kids are in school in the afternoons.

    Erin Terry

    ReplyDelete